How Do I Import OLM Files into Outlook Windows? – Multiple Methods
Summary: There are many users out there who are searching for the best methods to learn how to open OLM file into Outlook Windows. If you are also one of them and having “how do I import OLM files into outlook Windows” query, then stay here.
We are going to discuss about both manual as well automated solutions that will help you easily understand how to import .olm file to Windows Outlook 2016, 2019, 2013 and more. Follow this manual guide to convert, import, save, access, open, read OLM (Outlook for Mac) mailbox items in MS Outlook Windows, without any data loss or alteration.
Outlook for Mac v/s Outlook for Windows
MS Outlook is a Personal Information Manager that is available for both Windows and Mac platforms. Both applications save their mailbox items in their individual file formats. Outlook for Mac supports OLM format for saving its entire user profile data, whereas Windows Outlook or simply Outlook saves its user mailbox data in .ost and .pst format.
The first Outlook for Mac edition was introduced with Outlook 2011 for Mac. The OLM file supported by Outlook 2011 for Mac and later editions are their proprietary file format, which can’t be accessed in any other application, not even in Windows Outlook. So, if someone asks you “Can you import OLM file in Windows Outlook directly”, then the answer is NO. To import your OLM files in Windows Outlook, you need to convert them to PST format using a professional CubexSoft OLM to PST Converter.
Why You Need to Import OLM files to Windows Outlook?
Given below are some of the reasons why users are switching from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook.
- Sharing OLM file is a complicated and laborious task, whereas there is no such problem with PST files sharing.
- No shortcuts available for Mac Outlook users, whereas there are plenty of them for Windows Outlook users.
- Mac OS is quite complicated to use due to its rigid UI, which compels user to switch to Windows OS.
The reasons for uploading OLM files to PST may vary among users, but they all look for one answer, how to open olm file on Windows Outlook. In the up-coming section, we are going to discuss about
Different Methods to Upload OLM Files to Windows Outlook
There is no direct method to import OLM files into Windows Outlook, other than converting it to PST format using some professional utility. However, there is a workaround for you, to move Mac OLM files to Windows Outlook, manually. Want to know about it, then scroll down below:
Manual Method – Learn How to Import OLM File into Outlook Windows
#1: Turn On IMAP Setting of your Gmail Account (on macOS)
- Login to your Gmail account >> Click on Gear Icon to go to Settings
- Choose “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab
- Turn on IMAP Access Status and click on Save to save the settings.
#2: Set up your Gmail IMAP account in Mac Outlook
- Open Outlook for Mac. Go to Menu >> Tools >> Accounts from drop-down list menu
- Select Email. Provide complete information for the Gmail IMAP account such as Email ID and Password
- From the drop-down menu, choose Add Account.
Now your IMAP account is configured in Mac Outlook.
#3: Create Gmail Label for saving Mac Outlook data
- Again log-in to your account. Go to setting by clicking on gear icon >> Labels
- Click on Create New Label button and give it a name to create new label with specified name
- Now, go back to Outlook for Mac, tap on Send/Receive button to update IMAP account settings.
#4: Copy Emails from Mac Outlook to IMAP Account
- Open Mac Outlook
- Right click on the mailbox that you want to move to IMAP folder and click on Move >> Copy to Folder
- Select the newly created IMAP folder and press copy
- Click on Send/Receive button to update your Mac Outlook IMAP folder.
#5: Configure Gmail IMAP Account in MS Outlook for Windows
- Now, move towards your Windows machine and open Outlook
- Configure your Gmail IMAP account in Outlook by clicking on File >> Add account
- Enter your Gmail account login details and click on Connect
- Again enter your Gmail account details, if they don’t appear automatically, and tap on Next.
- Enter password and click on Allow >> Done.
- Restart Outlook and access your Mac Outlook OLM files in Windows Outlook via Gmail IMAP account
Limitations of Manual Method
The manual method of importing Mac Outlook files to Windows Outlook has a lot of drawbacks, some of them are highlighted below:
- The manual method is a time-consuming task, as you can see above.
- The entire method involves a lot of technical procedure, which is hard to follow by a non-technical user. Which means, you need to be technically proficient to follow the manual approach.
- Manual methods doesn’t provide 100% guaranteed results.
- Since the entire method involves a lot of steps and multiple applications, missing a single step may result in permanent data loss or corruption.
- Manual method can only be used as a workaround and they are not recommended solutions.
- Professional Solution to Import OLM File to Windows Outlook PST Files
As you now know that the manual method is not a competent solution to access OLM files in Outlook Windows, we need some professional third-party solution to overcome this problem. OLM Converter is a reliable utility that you can rely upon to convert OLM mailbox to PST.
It supports conversion of entire Mac OLM data including emails, contacts, calendars, notes, journals etc. to Windows Outlook. The software is completely safe to use and provides instant OLM to PST conversion with guaranteed success. Moreover, no technical skills are required to use this application, as it displays a simple GUI which can be easily followed by all users, without any technical expertise. Now let’s find out
How Do I Import OLM Files into Outlook Windows in Simple Steps
Download and install the Software on your device
Now add OLM files using Select Files and Select Folders button
Software will now Analyse Complete OLM Data and displays its folders in tree structure. Choose the Folders that you want to export to Windows Outlook and click on Next button
Now choose PST from the Select Savings Options list
Choose required sub-options, browse for Destination Folder Location to save output files and click on Convert button to start the process
The software will start with the conversion process and when done, displays the message “Conversion done successfully”.
- Open PST file in MS Outlook
- Open MS Outlook.
- Go to File >> Import& Export >> Open Outlook Data File
- Navigate to the location where your PST files are saved, select them and click on Open button. The file will show in the folder pane.
There are various circumstances (other than described here) that forces users to move from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook. We can’t stop that from happening. But to help users ease the entire task, we have explained both manual and professional solutions and tried to resolve their “how do I import OLM files into Outlook Windows” or “how to open OLM file on Windows” and many more queries.
They can opt for any method, as per their requirement and technical expertise. However, if they are hesitating in directly purchasing the professional OLM File Converter, then they can first try it with its FREE DEMO edition. It is completely free to download and supports to convert first 25 items per OLM file to PST file, for evaluation purpose.