Easy Steps to Import OST File to Office 365
Thinking a solution to import OST emails to Office 365 account? No worries, the write-up will help you out to import OST file to Office 365 with emails, contacts and calendar.
Moving Exchange mailbox data on Cloud environment like Office 365 possesses many advantages. Office 365 is an independent platform which can be opened anywhere and anytime if there is internet connectivity. So, many users who are using Exchange would like to copy Exchange mailboxes on Exchange Online account. In order to implement this process, one can move Outlook Offline data file OST to Office 365 account. And the method can be performed in multiple ways.
But at first, let us focus on some reasons that force to backup OST files to Office 365 environment.
Reasons to Import OST file to Office 365
- Organization moving due to Office 365 advantages
- Unexpected crash of Exchange and requires reliable platform for backup
- Avoid high cost Exchange maintenance
- Quick data accessibility in safe environment after unintentional deletion
How to Import OST Emails to Office 365 Exchange Online Account?
The process can be performed by utilizing multiple methods:
Step 1. Manual Method
- Save OST files as PST
- Import PST to Office 365
Step 2. Automated Solution
Step 1. Upload to Office 365 after Saving OST files as PST
It is an indirect process of migrating OST files to Exchange Online account. First, save OST as PST and upload resultant file to O365 account.
Process #1. Steps to Save OST files as PST
The method can be implemented in four different ways:
- Create new PST file and save OST folder items in the same.
- Using Microsoft Outlook Archive functionality.
- Using Microsoft Outlook Export functionality.
- Opting third party OST to PST Conversion Tool.
Create New PST File and Save OST Folder Items in the same
The method allows to move mailbox folder items to new PST file
- Start MS Outlook email client.
- Make folder of PST in the same.
- Copy the required items and paste them in new created PST folder.
Using Microsoft Outlook Archive Functionality
- Open Outlook email client.
- Go to File and select File Clean-up Tools option.
- Choose file/folder.
- Browse the saving path to save file and click OK.
- Now archive is created.
Note: Complete OST mailbox items can be archived except Outlook Contacts.
Using Microsoft Outlook Export Functionality
- Start Outlook email application.
- Go to File and click Export option.
- Choose Export to a file option and hit Next.
- Select Personal File Folder (.pst) and click Next.
- Choose required folders to export and also select Include Subfolders option, if needed.
- Enter the location to save exported file and click on Finish to complete the process.
Note: This can only be performed when user is having a connection with Exchange Server.
Process #2. Move/Migrate Outlook PST Folder to Office 365 Account
Once you done with the process of converting .ost files to .pst, now upload it to Office 365 environment in different ways:
- Use Azure AzCopy for uploading PST file to Office 365.
- Drive Shipping Method.
- OST to Office 365 Converter.
Uploading by using Azure AzCopy
Use AzCopy and directly move PST folder to Office 365 account.
- Download and run Azure AzCopy and copy Shared Access Signature (SAS) URL (the SAS URL will give required permission to transfer PST file to Azure).
- Move PST mailbox to O365.
- Generate PST mapping CSV file.
- Create import job in Exchange Online account for importing .pst file.
- Perform data filter and start the import job process.
Drive Shipping to Microsoft to Move Outlook.pst to Office 365
Using Microsoft Drive Shipping Method, one can easily import Outlook.pst folder to O365 environment. Easily copy PST folder to hard drive and send it to Microsoft. Then Microsoft will copy that hard drive data and move it to cloud.
Direct Import OST Files to Office 365 using Third Party App
Implementing the import process of OST emails to Outlook Web App is not easy. It will be difficult for those who are not expert in technicalities. Therefore, for them it will be beneficial to go for third party application which will be easy and secure to operate. No hands on experience is required for migration. The above can also be executed but with the process some drawbacks are also involved which can cause severe data loss. And if you carries crucial data, then it is advised not to take any chance and before performing the process, make sure you take the backup of all your files. You can go with the free demo of the application that allows to check and analyse the process by importing 20 OST files to Office 365 environment free of cost.