How to Transfer Outlook Files to New Computer?
Microsoft Outlook is a common, popular and most used email client application. It is accessible in two different modes. One is desktop-based and second is cloud-based (once integrated with Office 365.) If you are using Outlook as the part of your Office 365 account, the email can be opened from any computer. But the issue arises when you use the desktop-based Outlook and want to transfer Outlook files to new computer. This article will show how to transfer Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 to a new computer. Before going to the main conversation, we will have a look at some important user queries to understand the situation in a better way.
“Please Help! My computer faced some serious virus attack a few days ago, and since then the PC is not working. Mainly, I am facing problem to run applications such as Outlook. The specialist said that it will take some days for him to fix this. In the current situation, I want to transfer Outlook file to a new computer and continue using Outlook until my system gets stable. Suggest me the process of converting Outlook data from one computer to another.”
“I have been using Microsoft Outlook in my home computer. This one is the desktop-based version and I do not have any Office 365 account. Now I will be transferring to another town for a new job so I will not have open to this computer. For this cause, I want to transfer Outlook files to a new computer. I have no idea how to do this conversion and my friends are also unaware of the procedure. Can anyone suggest me how to transfer emails from Outlook to another computer? Thanks in advance.”
Reasons to Move Outlook Files to a New Computer
There are numerous causes in which user want to transfer all its Outlook data to another computer. Some of the most common reasons mentioned below:
- Moving from Desktop to Laptop: – Assume that you are operating desktop-based system and now you need to move to the laptop. So in this case, you want to transfer all your Outlook data files from the desktop to laptop. Because the Outlook is windows based application except Outlook 2016. If you are using Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2000 then you need to transfer Outlook pst file.
- Moving from One Outlook Version to Other– When you are using Outlook 2010 on your computer and now you want to move to Outlook 2013. In this case, you need to move pst file in outlook 2013.
- Need to Transfer from Desktop Outlook to OWA– MS Outlook is a window based email client application so it mandatory to install on the particular system. Due to which is limited to the accessibility of its emails and other data from anywhere. To overcome from this restriction Outlook Web Access come. If you want to transfer from Outlook to OWA then you need to Move Outlook Data file.
How to Transfer Outlook Files to New Computer Manually?
Purchasing the new computer and then think about how to transfer entire data from old computer to new computer. Mainly for Outlook data, because it is not as straightforward as converting other data. So to make it easy for you to transfer Outlook PST file to a new computer. I am going to mention a few steps that are applicable to all version of Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2007 and etc. The conversion of Outlook data can be done only in a few steps. First, get data from the old computer, then copy data to the new computer and at the end open in new system Outlook. Let’s explain about each step in detail and transfer Outlook files to New Computer easily.
Solution#1. Copy Outlook Data File from Old Computer
In this method, you need to navigate Outlook folder on your system’s hard drive and then copy the entire data. Follow this steps listed below:-
- To copy the Outlook PST file, it is necessary to close Microsoft Outlook email client application
- Click on “Start” option and Click “Run” button
- Type “Control Panel” or locate to the Control Panel Window
- If “Pick a Category” screen display, click on “User Account” option
- Highlight the “Mail” icon and double click to open it
- After this, click on “Show Profiles”
- Choose the correct profile and then click on “Properties” option
- Now, click on “Data Files”
- Under “Name” option, press the Personal Folders Service to back up the PST file(here, Personal Folders is showed as a default option)
Note: – For more than one Personal Folders Service in one profile, each set of PST file needs backup.
- Then, click on “Settings” and make sure of the PST file that shows
- After that, close all Properties Windows
- Now, copy the PST file on Windows Explorer or choose any drive and storage location from “My Computer”
Note:-Once you do not need to move the entire Outlook PST file to other computer, then you may choose the required folders to move to the new PST File.
Solution#2. Import PST File from Another Computer
- Open MS Outlook email client application
- Go to the File Menu and click on Open & Export option>Import/Export.
- In Import and Export Wizard, click on “Import from another program or file” and click Next to continue
- Then, select Outlook data file(.pst) and click on Next button
- After this, click on “Browse” button and select PST file. Under options, choose the particular option as per your need.
- Lastly, choose the folder which you want to import and also mark the include subfolders filed and click Finish button to start the procedure.
While transferring Outlook PST File from one computer to another computer, your PST file might get damaged and corrupted. So it is advised you to choose Outlook Converter tool to get rid of such
There is no direct solution to transfer Outlook PST file from one computer to another computer manually. To do so, you have to follow process as describe above. Though it is very time-consuming and complicated method and you must make sure you follow step by step procedure carefully to avoid Outlook PST file corruption.