Step by Step Process for Exchange 2013 to Office 365 Hybrid Migration
In the today’s world, several Organizations are thinking to move forward to On-Premise messaging environment to Exchange Online (Office 365). Without a single doubt, many of them will transfer shortly. For any Exchange administrator, it is one of the tiresome and challenging job need to migrate Exchange to Office 365 and many certain factors that encourages or pressurise to consider this migration process is enhancement of the company management, guarantees easy manageability and deduce capital costs for running Server edition.
Unsurprisingly, number of methods are available to fulfil the requirement of migration process. Among these, one of the effective procedure is Hybrid migration.
Let us get deeper and first explore about Hybrid Migration.
What is Hybrid Migration?
Hybrid Migration is the migration process that allows On-premises migration of multiple mailboxes to On-site or a tactic to assure Exchange Server to Office 365 migration. With hands on experience on this approach, any individual can quickly migrate already existing mailbox between Exchange Server and Exchange Online. In this process, users do not need to create new mailbox and import information.
Benefits included in Exchange-based Hybrid Deployment:
New user mailbox are not required to create and import information.
Allows to move either Exchange Online (Office 365) mailboxes to Exchange organization or On-Premises Exchange mailboxes to Office 365 Exchange Online organization.
Requirement of Hybrid Migration
Appropriate allowances are needed before migration.
Ensure the configuration of hybrid deployment between On-Premises and Exchange Online organizations.
Assure On-Premises Exchange 2013 Client Access Servers; Mailbox Replication Proxy Service is enabled.
Process for Executing Hybrid Migration to Office 365
The process of migrating Exchange mailboxes to O365 from On-Premise is easy and simple to implement. Follow the below steps to execute the process successfully:
- Endpoint Creating
- Proxy Server Enabling
- EAC Usage
- Batches Removal
- OWA Re-enabling
Now let us discuss few common steps in detail:
Create Endpoint for Migration
The first step is to create Exchange migration endpoint before carrying out remote move migrations both On-Boarding and Off-Boarding. The endpoint contains connection setting for on-premises Exchange Server which runs MRS proxy service. This MRPS service assists to execute remote migrations to and from Office 365 Exchange online.
Enable Proxy Service
As an individual it is important to first enable the Proxy Service on the On-Premises Exchange 2013 Client Access servers.
Use EAC to Move Mailboxes
In EAC on Office 365 tab, you will find remote migration wizard using which you can transfer mailboxes of Exchange Online to On-Premises organization or can also migrate already existing mailboxes of On-Premises to Exchange Online organization. You can choose any of the mentioned procedure.
Move On-Premises Mailboxes to O365
- Go to EAC >> Open it >> Click on Recipients >> Select Migration
- Click on Add >> Select Migrate to Exchange Online.
- From Select a Migration Type window >> Select Remove Move Migration >> Click Next.
- Under the window of Select the users’ >> click Add + option >> choose On-Premise user >> click Add >> click OK >> click Next.
- Enter the Windows user account credential window will open, add the desired credentials of on-premises administrator account >> click Next.
- Confirm the migration endpoint window will appear, check FDQN of required On-Premises Exchange Server is listed.
- In Move Configuration window, enter the migration batch name in New migration batch name text field.
- Now, enter target delivery domain option coming under Target delivery for the mailboxes.
- Go to Start the page batch >> select one recipient >> Assure Automatically start the batch option is enabled.
- Do check the box for automatically complete the migration batch.
Complete Migration Batches Removal
After the process of moving mailbox is completed, the next crucial step is batches removal. This needs to be performed to reduce possibilities of error in scenarios where same users moved again. Follow the steps to implement the same:
- Open EAC >> Go to Office 365 >> Choose Recipients >> Select Migration.
- Now click on Complete Migration Batch >> Click Delete >> Click on Yes and Confirm.
Re-enabling of OWA for Offline Accessibility
Outlook Web App (OWA) Exchange Online is one of the wonderful attributes. Accessibility to work offline in Outlook on the web enables to easily access mailboxes even in the scenarios when there is no network connection. In situations, when you are migrating Exchange mailboxes to Exchange Online, you need to reset the setting for offline access in the browser in order to use Outlook on the web offline.
Exchange 2013 to Office 365 Hybrid Migration Process Complete
With manual method, a user can migrate mailbox of Exchange to Office 365 but similarly like other manual methods, some limitations are associated with Hybrid Migration:
- Includes Manual Intervention
- Lengthy and Time-Consuming Process
To perform the process manually, follow the link mentioned: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mailbox-migration/use-minimal-hybrid-to-quickly-migrate