How to Split Large/Oversized PST File into Smaller Parts?
The following post has discussed the simple solution to split large Outlook PST file into smaller parts. There are number of users who are dealing with oversized PST file issue and looking a solution to divide PST file size. Thus, to solve the issue of how to break up a large PST file, it would be better to first understand fact about PST file.
PST is a file type of Outlook that stands for Personal Storage Table. It saves all the data folders of Outlook i.e. emails, calendar, tasks, notes, journals, contacts and more. The version Outlook 97 to 2000 supports ANSI PST file format whereas from Outlook 2003 to 2019 supports UNICODE PST file. Different Outlook versions has different size limitations of PST file. For e.g. Outlook 2013, 2016 and 2019 has maximum size goes up to 50GB. Now, let us discuss the need to split large Outlook PST file into smaller parts.
Why to Split/Divide Large Outlook PST File into Multiple Small Parts?
There are numerous reasons behind why one need to split large PST file into smaller parts. Some main reasons are as discussed:
- Large size PST file affects the performance of MS Outlook.
- When PST file exceeds from allowable limit, user unable to send/receive messages.
- Oversized PST file can result in loss of data.
Manual Method to Split Oversized PST File
Unfortunately, MS Outlook does not carry any in-built feature or function that can break up a large/oversized Outlook PST file. Therefore, some manual ways discussed that can help in splitting large PST file into smaller parts.
Method 1. Use Archive Feature
Follow the mentioned steps and check how to split large Outlook PST file/oversized PST file into multiple parts:
- Open MS Outlook and click on File.
- Navigate to Info, click on Tools and select Clean Up Old items.
- Choose desired folder to archive, select date in Archive items older than box and hit Browse to save archive file at desired destination path.
- Hit OK to end the process.
Method 2. Use Import/Export Option
By making use of Import/Export Wizard, a user can split large PST file into smaller multiple parts. Follow the steps and perform the same:
- Open MS Outlook and navigate to File.
- Click Account Settings and hit Account Settings option.
- Provide file name and type Outlook Data File (.pst) and hit OK.
- New Outlook PST file is created now, now easily view new created PST file under Data Files.
- Again, go to File, select Open & Export and click Import/Export option.
- Import/Export Wizard will display, choose option Export to a file and hit Next.
- Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) option appearing in Export to a file window.
- Select desired folder to export and select checkbox of Include subfolders.
- Click Browse, set desired location to save the file exported. In the given options, select Do not export duplicates items and press Finish button.
Method 3. Use Move to Folder Option
Use Move to Folder option and follow the steps to split/break up a large Outlook PST file:
- Open Outlook, click File, select Account Settings and again click Account Settings option.
- Go to Data Files tab, click Add to generate new PST file.
- Move to Home screen and open default PST file. Simultaneously, choose items that you want to move into new created PST file.
- Now, click Move button displaying on the top and choose option Copy to Folder.
- Select PST file from option copy the selected items to the folder and hit OK.
Note: You can also remove the unwanted items from default Outlook PST file to minimize the size.
Limitations Included in Manual Method:
The manual method is completely free of cost, but there are some limitations exists to split large PST file into smaller parts. Some of them are as listed:
- Time-consuming as well as confusing process.
- Possibility of data loss.
- High technical knowledge needed.
- Accurate data integrity is not guaranteed.
Advance & Best Solution to Split Large Outlook PST File into Smaller Parts
For instant split of PST file, make use of CubexSoft PST Split Tool, reliable and recommended approach to split large/oversized PST file into multiple parts. The application allows splitting PST file as per size, folder, date and year. It keeps the data integrity of PST file intact when performing the process to split large PST file into multiple parts. Follow the steps and check how to split large PST file into smaller multiple parts:
Step 1. Download, launch and run the tool on the system.
Step 2. Choose desired split options i.e. Split by Size, Date, Year, Folder & Email Address.
Step 3. Click on Select PST File button to add oversized PST file. Also, set desired splitting options, click Browse button and select destination path to save resultant file and click on Next.
Step 4. Now, the tool shows splitting summary displaying Source PST file, Current PST, PST File Size, Destination Path, Split Option and Selected Criteria.
Step 5. Check Splitting Progress Report showing status report of Source PST File, Split Option, Current Folder, Total Items, Destination Path and Overall Progress.
Step 6. After the process is finished, an alert message will appear “Process Completed Successfully”. Click OK to exit.
The steps will instantly perform the process and split oversized PST file into multiple parts without affecting originality of data.
The segment has discussed multiple methods that help in solving the query of “how to split large Outlook PST file into smaller parts”. Three manual methods discussed that are entirely free of cost but includes few drawbacks that can affect Outlook database. Whereas, the third party tool is highly advised to split oversized PST file in an accurate way. In order to understand more about the software, get its free demo version now that allows to split first 25 items free of cost.