How to Repair Public Folder in Exchange 2019/2016/2013/2010?
Is your Exchange public folder database is corrupt and looking a solution to fix the same? No worries, the segment is here to help you out providing multiple ways to repair Exchange public folder database without affecting the original data.
Exchange Server is combined with ESE i.e. Extensible Storage Engine and helps to keep information secure to carry out efficient process of email communication. The Exchange information store includes EDB and STM files where actual mailbox data is saved. EDB and STM files are categorized into two categories i.e. Private and Public. Private files represented as Priv1.edb and Priv1.stm. It helps the server in recognizing the default mailbox storage database whereas Public files i.e. Pub1.edb and Pub1.stm save all the information related with default public store. In other words, it means that Public EDB & STM files are where all events takes place. They help to store data folders of users such as emails, contacts, attachments, notes, etc. and any damage can result in huge loss of data. Typically, Pub1.edb or Public EDB is a file that saves essential email attachments and MAPI messages. Thus, in order to keep the users data safe, the file needs to be secure from threats.
Common Threats Occur in Public Folder of Exchange
Lot of different things can damage Exchange Public Folder file. Some of them discussed below:
- Unavailability of power backup can result in unexpected power failure.
- Inappropriate shutdown procedure during process of email restore.
- Spontaneous error in hard drive sector.
- Malware or Virus attack.
Due to the above mentioned issues, the Exchange Server unable to carry out appropriate shutdown process that leaves database in an inconsistent state. In these scenarios databases not able to isolate itself from transaction log streams that impacts database consistency and integrity. At this point, if you again start the server, it checks missing log file of data, which, if missing renders corruption of Exchange.
Another aspect of Exchange problem includes the Jet Engine. “Jet engine” issues occurred due to issues in hardware or software that damage the server database at different levels which includes Information Store, Exchange Server file system, Jet Database Engine etc. In this scenario too, Exchange Server database files get damaged in the end.
In spite of knowing the causes of how Exchange DB file is damaged, it is first important to repair the file at the earliest to prevent data loss.
Repair Exchange 2010 Public Folder Database
Repair of Exchange public folder need appropriate sequence of steps that requires to be executed on Command Prompt. Therefore, one should be careful when implementing the process. A single mistake can result in unalterable damage. Moreover, before starting the repair process of Exchange public folder, check the error properly as repair process will change according to an error.
Follow the steps to Repair Exchange Public Folder Database:
- Stop Services of Exchange Information Store.
- Move to Bin folder via command line interface by running the command mentioned below:
- Eseutil/mh ..\mdbdata\priv1.edb at command line path: C:\exchsrvr\bin>
- Click Enter.
- Check, if database state is clean or not. If you detect any issues, you need to implement soft recovery after folder export to place where log files are saved.
- Execute the given command at command line path C:\Program File\exchsrvr\MDBDATA> “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN\eseutil” /r E00
- Again, check the state. Still, if things are same, one need to implement hard drive recovery process. At the command line path, enter the command “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\MDBDATA>, enter the command as given: “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN\eseutil” /p pub1.edb
- Move to folder of Mbdata and remove the *chk and Temp.edb files with log files.
- Effectively, mount and dismount database of Exchange Server and stop the services of Exchange Information store.
- At last, try to defragment mailbox of Public EDB by executing the command given: C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN>eseutil/d “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\MDBDATA\pub1.edb”
- Now entering the command shown to fix Isinteg.exe: C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN>isinteg –s (servername) –fix –test alltests
- Exit from command prompt, again start services of Exchange Server to reinstate repair of Exchange Server Public Folder database.
With the help of these steps, a user can repair damage Pub file in most of the cases. However, the steps would not work if the Exchange Server public folder file badly corrupted. Moreover, technical skills and knowledge is must to perform the process using these steps as lot of commands are involved. Therefore, it would be better to use recommended and third party EDB Repair Tool to repair public folder database of Exchange Server.
Alternation Solution to Repair Exchange Public Folder Database
Exchange EDB Recovery Tool is a strong and stress-free application to handle corruption of any level that EDB file possesses. The application also helps save mailbox items of Exchange such as emails with attachments, contacts, calendar, notes, journals etc. The tool help to retrieve data from corrupt/damage Exchange public folder and allows to save the EDB in PST file that later can directly import into MS Outlook. The software provides unlimited remarkable benefits and options to store extracted data in multiple file types, upload damage public folder database on cloud, fix selective corrupt Exchange database mailbox and more.
Fixing Exchange Server public folder files are possible with manual techniques, which are free of cost. But, such methods can prove complicated for beginners. Therefore, in order to repair public folder of Exchange, it is better to go for secure and easy cost-effective solution to get precise and complete output.