How to Import Mail from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook?
Summary: MS Outlook email application can be utilized on both Mac OS and Windows OS, however, both platforms store mailbox data in different kinds of data files. Once on Mac, Outlook data stored within OLM files and on Windows, it is stored within PST files. Here, we explain several reasons why users want to convert OLM files to PST format.
The OLM file format is specific to Outlook for Mac it was devolved with Outlook 2011 for Mac. Its function and use are the same as that of Microsoft Outlook PST files on Windows. This suggests that it store all mailbox data like Inbox, calendars, contacts, etc. As the OLM file is specific to Mac, it cannot be accessed through Windows Outlook. Thus, if a user has recently shifted from a Mac operating system to a Windows operating system, it’s may experience issues opening his/her mailbox data stored in OLM file through Outlook’s Windows version.
To open his/her emails, contacts, etc. the user will require to export and convert OLM to PST format and then the import the resultant PST file into Windows Outlook.
“I am using Mac system and therefore, I plan to move to Windows system. Moreover, I will continue using Outlook even in Windows system. But my real challenge is about the Mac Outlook data. I want to transfer and move that data to my new Windows Outlook, but OLM is not workable with Windows. So, please suggest me how can I open my OLM files on Windows Outlook?”
Reasons to Import OLM files to Windows Outlook
There are several reasons why users need to convert Mac Outlook OLM files to Windows Outlook. Some reasons are listed below:-
- A Switch of company or organization
- Changing or upgrading of a computer
- Working on multiple computers at a time
Way to Export Mac Outlook OLM emails to Windows Outlook PST Manually
“I am working Mac Operating System for my personal needs for many years. I’m also having some other email accounts which are meant for business needs only. Now I think it is a compulsion to transfer all my email from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook for easy management. One of my friends suggests Windows Operating System and it seems to be a better option to access your all emails from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook. But can anyone suggest me the method to export Mac OLM files to Windows Outlook PST files.”
Follow the step-by-step procedure to Migrate emails from OLM files to PST format.
Step 1. Create IMAP Email Account
- Open Gmail account or other email account and then click on “Settings” option
- In settings, choose Forwarding and POP/IMAP option
- Now, confirm the status of IMAP; if it is not enabled then enable IMAP and click on Save changes.
Step 2. Configure Outlook for Mac Using IMAP Account
- Open Outlook for Mac and then click on Tools tab and choose Accounts option.
- Now, select the Email and provide your email id, password, and other information.
- Type IMAP server and select SSL connection along with SMTP server and 465 as a port number, after that click Add Account.
Step 3. Export emails from Outlook for Mac to IMAP Email Account
- Again open Outlook for Mac then choose the data which you want to transfer
- Right click on the selected folder then click on Move>Copy to Folder
- Give the name of your IMAP folder and select Copy
- Now, update IMAP folder with Send/Receive button and all your OLM emails are now in IMAP account.
Step 4. Configure Outlook for Windows with same IMAP Email Account
- Open Control Panel and choose Mail>Email Accounts>New
- Select “Manually Configure Server Settings” option and click Next
- Select “IMAP/POP Settings” then click Next button
- Now, give your IMAP Account identifications and Incoming and Outgoing server details then click More Settings.
- After that, click the “Advanced” section and provide 993 port number in IMAP server and select SSL connection
- Provide the port number of SMTP server as 465 and choose SSL connection then click OK
- Now click on Next button, it will take a few moments then click Finish
Drawbacks of the Manual Solution to Import Mac Outlook to PST
There are some reasons that one should avoid using a manual method:
- It is a long process, so the user may skip some steps.
- It does not migrate OLM files to PST format; it only exports the mailbox data of OLM files to Windows Outlook.
- If a file gets corrupt and damaged during exporting or importing, the user may lose his data.
- This manual procedure doesn’t ensure 100% safe migration of the data.
- It is not assuring any guaranteed results after completion.
- The entire process is time-consuming and confusing, and it is difficult to execute.
- The users must have the technical knowledge to perform the manual process
So, for the above situations, you have to follow a certain process to achieve the successful conversion. So, a have a look at the tricks for the migration procedure.
Error-Free Solution to Import Mail from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook
A user can opt for an error-free solution: the OLM to PST Converter. It comes with different advanced and unique features, and it is easy to operate of any type of users. Using third-party tool, users can export emails from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook in few simple steps.
I think this article will be helpful for you to export Mac OLM files to PST by following the DIY method. The two methods are explained here you can choose any of the discussed above. If you feel any difficulty in manual solution then you can go for the Third-party solution which is suggested in this blog.