Why You Need to Extract Data from Office 365 Cloud to On-Premises? Explained
Ever since its introduction in 2011, Office 365 has gained a lot of attention and attraction among commercial users. It’s a cloud based environment that has made it feasible for users to expand their business to new heights. Another benefit of moving user accounts to Office 365 is the ability to create backups of entire data. But it is limited to create and save backups for only 14 days. Once this period is over, these backup no more exist and are discarded forever.
Many big organizations, even small ones, have to keep a backup of their data for years and they can’t afford to lose their crucial data, just because Office 365 can’t let them do so for more than a fortnight. So to avoid this problem they start looking for an O365 backup solution to help them in disaster management and recovery. Once decided, the first question that users enquire about is “how can I export the Office 365 mailbox to a PST file”?
Is there a way to export mailbox to PST from OWA cloud environment permanently?
Earlier Microsoft’s In-place eDiscovery Tool used to let users to save their Exchange online data locally, but it is no longer supported now. Another manual method that users can use for saving their O365 data locally is via PST Export Tool. It’s a free to use manual method that enables users to export and save Office 365 mailboxes to PST on local system.
Let’s follow the steps for manually exporting O365 mailbox data :
- First, Login to your Office 365 account
- Go to Admin Centers >> Security and Compliance
- Click on Permissions, choose eDiscovery Manager from the list. Now add your Account to eDiscovery Administrator list appearing under eDiscovery Role Manager.
- Click on Content Search appearing under Search and Investigation and click on “+” button for creating a new case
- Enter the name in the name field and choose Select everywhere for exporting all mailboxes data and click Next
- Now choose from the list of available filters and click Search
- The searching process will begin and after completion click on Start Export option
- In the next pop-up window, select your desired options and press Start Export button
- Now click on Download exported results, showing under Export results to a computer
- Now copy the Export Key and click on Download Results
- Paste the Export Key under eDiscovery Export Tool, choose the destination location for saving downloaded file >> OK. Finally, click Save button to extract data from office 365 cloud locally.
Why users don’t prefer manual method?
As you can see, the manual process has so many steps that a non-technical user has to work hard to follow them precisely. With the number of steps involved, the level of risk gets higher as missing a single step may corrupt it, thus making it inaccessible, forever. The process is time wasting as it takes a lot of time to complete. Besides that you allowed to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST format only.
Is there any Automated Solution to Extract Data from Office 365 cloud locally?
Considering the complexities of manual methods, many users search for automated solutions for Office 365 export archive mailbox to PST. Office 365 Backup utility is one of the finest solutions for extracting Exchange online mailbox items on local systems. The tool allows transfer of O365 mailbox data into PST, PDF, EML, EMLX, MSG and MBOX formats. The software has a simple GUI, which makes it easier to use for both technical and non-technical users. Moreover, the tool allows extraction of data from single as well as multiple O365 tenants into desired option. Maintaining data integrity is another forte of the software that manages to retain complete data in its original form without misplacing a single data item. Get the utility on all Windows (32bit and 64bit) editions – 10, 8.1, 8, 7 etc. and easily export office 365 mailbox to PST, PDF, MBOX, EML, MSG and EMLX formats.
Having a backup copy of cloud data helps users to get their lost data. The above article has described reasons and solutions to save cloud mailboxes locally. While manual method allows to export PST from OWA, Professional solution provide multiple output options for exporting O365 mailbox to PST, PDF, MBOX etc. If you are comfortable with the manual method, then you can go for it. However, if you want an easy and quick solution, then it is advised to go with professional method. Moreover, the software is also available as FREE evaluation utility and can be tested for its efficiency. FREE demo allows extraction of first 100 emails and 25 other items to supported options, enough for evaluation purpose.